Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Surprise!


September is our big birthday month. Anthony, Haylie and Tui all have birthdays within days of each other. This year I decided to combine all 3 together and have a big surprise party. We decided to have it up at the church because of ify weather.

I got to the church early to set up. The kids had to be let in on the surprise because I had to take them with me to set up. Anthony was being diverted by a friend so that he would be surprised.

He was most definitely surprised! While I was setting up, my oldest daughter, Sydney decided to play hide and seek with 2 friends in a darkened church ( since we only needed the gym, we left the lights off in the rest of the church hoping that would deter any kids from playing where they shouldn't be).

All of a sudden someone is screaming my name. One of the girls playing hide and seek grabs my arm and pulls me toward a bathroom on the darkened half of the church. I find Sydney leaning over the bathroom sink, with a bloody face. at first I couldn't tell where all the blood was coming from. I cleaned her up enough to see that it was her nose and upper lip. I tried to control the bleeding while the other girls filled me in on what happened.

Our church has big glass doors. In the dark, you can not tell where they are. Well, my incredibly intelligent daughter ( except when playing hide and seek obviously) ran smack into the door.

I am grateful for the fact that one of my good friends there that night is a nurse. She examined Sydney's nose and told me it was broken. Sydney kept he tough girl act going until we were alone for a minute...then the tears came. She is so brave! I told he I would have to take her to the ER. She started crying more...she said she didn't want to miss the pinata.

Just then who comes walking in the door? Anthony....SURPRISE! So, for his birthday he got to take Sydney to the ER while I entertained the guests. And we saved the pinata for the very end so Sydney could join in.

The best part about all of this is, Sydney inadvertently straightened out her septum and now can breath easier. She has bad allergies and has always had a hard time breathing at night. Not any more.

I have the same problem. Anyone want to go play hide and seek in a dark church?Birthday Girl ( 7 years old)

Broken nose girl


No comments: