Friday, May 20, 2011



Growing old scares me! I see not only the physical deterioration, but also the mental. I get so frustrated with the elderly drivers who seem to either not be able to read the street signs or choose to ignore them. The drifters who can't seem to stay in their own lane or the ones who are the definition of " Sunday driver"!


BUT, I have been humbled time and time again when I have been given the opportunity to help the elderly. I have been able to divert danger, aid in medical emergencies and just plain hold open doors for the elderly.


This week I was humbled again.


(Any social workers reading this may want to stop reading.)


I was in a hurry, as I usually am. I had all 4 of my kids with me in the van and it was already an exhausting day. We had just been to 2 grocery stores and I had one more to go to. I have become a bargain shopper ( between 3 stores). So I decided to leave my 10 year old in charge of the kids in the van while I ran in for bananas, milk and bread. I would be in and out!


I am speed walking through the small store, grabbing my items along the way. Two minutes tops and I would be out of there...until I get in the check out line behind and elderly lady who has already had all of her items scanned and was just ready to pay. Then, as most elderly do they fumble through their purses trying to find exact change. While she is fumbling through her purse, she starts telling the cashier a story about falling down in her garden. The two of them chat back and forth like old friends. Then I realize that she is a regular at the store and that this little story could go on forever. Just when I thought she might be done, another store employee comes up to her, hugs her and asks how she is doing. Can you hear my eyes roll? Then the story starts all over again. This time I am paying attention to what she is saying.


This poor woman has recently had surgery on her hip to remove some cancer. On top of that she has undergone radiation treatments that have left her with burns on her leg. She has to go back for more treatments soon, but wonders if it is worth it at her age. The cashier reaches behind her and grabs a bunch of flowers left over from mothers day and gives them to her...hugs her and wishes her the best.


without even knowing it, my eyes are wet and I am having to blink the tears away. How could I be so harsh and impatient?


She slowly moves her cart away and I get my few items checked out and payed for. I end up following the little old lady into the parking lot and notice that some of her groceries have been put underneath her cart. After her story of falling over, I don't hesitate to go over and help her unload her groceries. We get to talking a bit and I find out she is German and she is lights up when she hears my name. It is a common name in Germany. As I say goodbye and start back to my car, she grabs me and pulls me down into the biggest old lady hug ever. She plants a kiss on my check, tells me " May God bless you and your family" and hands me chocolate for the kids who are waiting in the van.


Again, I am close to tears as I climb in the van and start the engine. The kids notice my face and for the rest of the ride home we talk about the blessings of giving service and how special the elderly are and that it is important that we take care of them for Heavenly Father. We talk about how much we can learn from the elderly and we decide to pay more attention to the two adoptive grandma's we have on our street.




I love the elderly! I always have. I am still afraid to grow old, but I have always had a soft spot for them. I just have to remember that when I am on the road with them.


No comments: