Saturday, October 20, 2007

Teething, Tantrums, and Timeouts

I am a bit frustrated that I have not been able to blog lately. Oh, I have had time. It is just that by the time the kids are in bed and I have MY time to sit and write, all I can think about is everything that has gone wrong that day. Then all of my creative juices stop and I can't think of a thing to say. Or I start thinking about upcoming events that threaten to drive me to the mental ward! So in an attempt to relieve some of the stress of my day, I am going to vent!

Teething........I believe that teething is not restricted to infants. Tui, my ever so happy baby boy, is getting 3 teeth in at the same time, which makes him ever so UNhappy. I can see them about ready to break through, and after a day of non stop ( I am NOT exaggerating) crying and fussiness mixed with diarrhea ( due to teething), I am very tempted to take a nail file and let him chew on it in hopes it will wear the remaining skin away.
My daughter Sydney, who is usually a huge help to me, is also teething. She has 2 more loose teeth and 4 that are in the process of growing in. You would think that a 6 year old would not be affected by this process, but she has been almost as fussy as Tui ( minus the diarrhea). At least Haylie is not ready to loose any teeth yet! ( not that it makes any difference)

Haylie, who just turned 4, is always a concern for me due to health issues. I know that at times she does not feel good and so I chalk up her grumpiness to that. Today went way beyond not feeling good! I have always been somewhat proud or pleased that my kids have never been the type of kids to have temper tantrums in the store. Well that record has now been shot to bits! Haylie cried for the entire visit to Lowes, which was cut short due to the tantrum. I can still hear the high pitched whine in my head. So it is off home to have a timeout. ( which by the way did not help one bit).

Only after their baths and a good night story did the fussiness stop. As I put Haylie into bed she put her arms around me and asked if I was still mad at her. As I looked at her with her thumb in her mouth and her other hand holding a golden curl, I could not tell her I was still mad. I kissed her good night and tucked her in and now I am here asking myself......" was my day really all that bad?"

YES it was....but now it is over and I get to start all over again tomorrow. How lucky are we to be Mothers!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Amen... AND... Amen.

merideth said...

wow all of us mothers really go through all the same stuff.