Thursday, October 4, 2007

Funny words

Growing up, my parents were very strict on what words were allowed in our house, or out of our mouths for that matter. Never mind curse words, those were obvious. But words like shut-up and stupid and fart were just as bad as curse words. In fact, I remember telling my sister ti shut-up once. I remember it well, so I must have been about 9 or 10 years old. Or maybe I remember it well because of the punishment I received. Lets just say I was coughing up bubbles all day. ( mind you, back then there wasn't " antibacterial" soap. You feed a kid soap now a days and you get a visit from social services).
So lesson learned! We, the children in the family, decided we would make up words to replace the ones we were not allowed to say. For example, shut-up now became up-shut. Flurp was now the word we used for fart ( you can thank my dad for that one. I think he had more fun making up words than we did). Words that Napoleon Dynamite would use, are words that we used. Dang, flippin, holy crap ( that one even caused my mom to cringe), and others were always being used in place of others. One of my favorites was twerp. My mom absolutely hated it when we would call each other idiots, so she said that twerp was an appropriate substitute for that word.
Well 20 years later I am still using those words. You can tell by listening to my children. This evening while we were sitting in the living room, as a family, getting ready to read a book, my daughter Haylie ( 4 years old) started a conversation with my husband. I did not catch the whole conversation, but my husband was telling her something that was light hearted. I think he was teasing her. All of a sudden she says, in a total teenager way, " Daddy, you are such a TWERP"!
I do not recall her ever saying that word before, but it sounded like she had been saying it forever. I think that my parents were smart to teach us to use better language, but at the same time, it all still means the same thing.
How funny words.....and kids are!

3 comments:

meghan said...

oh I can not imagine what my boys will say when they start really talking... about my clip art, I just use google, click on the image section and then search for whatever I am looking for. Then I right click on the image and choose the save image as option. That is all.

merideth said...

that is so funny. lily my six year old is always the one reminding of words we do not say in our house. we have very similiar families. how fun is two girls and a boy. i know what you mean about having only girl toys. luke will take anything and make it a car or a ball.
love the blog.

Stacy said...

How funny! But what about bumchuckle!?! That's my personal favorite!!! :)