Monday, December 22, 2008


Christmas Spirit.
Most years I feel a bit out of Christmas spirit due to not having my family around. I usually try to keep busy making someone's Christmas cheery. Well as our little family began this Christmas season, Sydney asked me a simple but profound question. " What is the Christmas spirit and how do we know when we are feeling it?"

I tried to give her examples and explain that it is not just the feeling we have at Christmas time, but rather the feeling we should have all year when we give service to others. She seemed content with the answer.

Today as we were at Walmart picking up some last minute groceries for Christmas dinner, we saw the salvation army " Bell Ringer" at the door. He was an older gentleman. He had a less than perfect winter coat on and a pair of gloves and a stocking hat....you know, the stretchy kind. Keep in mind, it was only a positive 2 degrees out.....very cold and windy. Sydney and Haylie looked at the man and then looked at me. We all had the same thought . Haylie said that the poor old man didn't look very warm. With that we went straight to the glove and hat section where we picked out a warm scarf to give him. It was not much, but it would at least cover his face when that frigged air blows at him.

As we left the store, we put a few coins into his collection basket and then pulled out the scarf and presented it to him. He looked confused for a moment. Then I told him that the girls wanted to get it for him to help block the wind. He thanked us and wished us the warmest Merry Christmas we have ever heard. Waking back to the car was not as cold as when we came in and Sydney turned to me and said, " mommy....I feel it. I feel the Christmas spirit. I felt it when we first saw the man. I knew I wanted to help him." I told her that we need to feel that all year round....That desire to help others. And then in return we feel the Saviors love.

What a wonderful Christmas lesson we have learned this year.

2 comments:

Hartson family said...

You made me tear-up. Awe! What a great example you are for your little ones. Thanks for sharing that special moment. Merry Christmas!

Frisbies Forever said...

That is beautiful! What a powerful lesson for time and all eternity! That is a classic example of Sisters In Zion!