Thursday, March 5, 2009



Light Keepers.

Every year in march we celebrate the organization of the Relief Society. It is a group of women in our Church who have dedicated their time, their energy, their talents and their love to strengthening other women . We serve each other in different capacities and we serve the community and our families. We share a love of our Father in heaven and a love of our Savior, who is the light of the world. Jesus Christ has given us a little piece of himself....a light. It is our divine privilege and responsibility to " Let our lights so shine..." so that others may see it and have a desire to follow that light.

This year we had a wonderful evening full of inspirational music written by Jenny Phillips. One of her songs was preformed by the newly formed women's choir. It was called " Hold your Torches High" They did a marvelous job. It was so beautiful. Thank you all for participating!

We also had some uplifting Quotes and narration read to us to help us see that no matter what circumstances we are in, we can still shine our lights and be an example of Christ. Thank you to all who helped out with that.

My favorite part of the evening was the flashlight demonstration at the end of the program. Each sister was handed a flashlight and then the lights in the gym were all turned off. As another beautiful song was being played we each turned our lights on one at at time and focused our lights on a picture of the Savior. I explained that one little light may be enough for me to see my way on a bumpy and treacherous path. But someone in the distance would not be able to find their way to me in the dark, with just my one little light. Together as we shine our lights the way becomes more clear and many more will see our lights shining and want to know that light and feel it's warmth for themselves. We need to be like a lighthouse in the night....shining for all to see. And you know what....It doesn't take much to do that. Every time you talk to someone, with a smile on your face or a kind remark. Every time we have the opportunity to give aid to someone in need, even holding a door open. I am amazed at how my whole day can be brightened when I lend a helping hand and I get a smile in return. That feeling that two strangers share, for that brief moment, is what a Christ like love feels like. As we try to live our lives the way the Savior lived His, we will literally glow with His light.

The last part of the evening was the dinner. We had 3 different kinds of soup. Zuppa ( the Olive Garden soup), creamy chicken and rice soup, and a chicken noodle soup, all of which were delicious. (I will be posting my zuppa recipe soon.) we also had salad and bread sticks. The Desert was an amazing cake made by my amazingly talented friend, Charity. She made an enormous cake in the shape of a lighthouse. How cool is that!

I am so grateful to be the Relief Society Enrichment leader. It has given me so many opportunities to grow and to get to know my fellow sisters. I am also very grateful for the sisters who serve with me. They are such a strength and joy to work with. Thank you again for all who helped and especially to all who attended...you are the ones who made the night so special.

5 comments:

Hartson family said...

Thanks for the KUDOS. You did such a great job- it was a beautiful night out celebrating the Relief Society we are all a part of.

~j. said...

Good for you, Krista! I'm enrichment leader, too, and we just had our activity last night. I'm glad to have it over with, but, for the first time since I've had this calling, I really feel like our activity was a success. It's great. On to next quarter...

Frisbies Forever said...

How Perfect!!! LOVE IT!

Stacy said...

ARGH! I wish I was there, but it's been over two weeks and my stomach STILL does NOT feel right. :O( It sounds like it was a wonderfully spiritual night.

Would you make a post about it on the ward blog? I added your email since you are the enrichment leader... that way you can post reminders and photos and whatnot specifically for enrichment!

Jolley's said...

It was so fun. I know you miss Primary but come on, you are made for this calling. You are so spiritual and I thank you for that.