Tuesday, September 15, 2009


Grump Old Man

I am proud to say that I have worked in retail and the service industry. I think that everyone should have to work at a restaurant or a retail store at least once in their lives so they will understand how to treat people who work at these places.
Unlike the old grumpy man I encountered tonight. It is Tuis birthday, so we let him decide what he wanted for dinner....it was an easy choice...Pizza! So we ran up the street to Little Caesar's. We love that they have pizza made and ready to go...but I also know that it gets very busy around dinner time. So I was not upset when the girl at the register said it would be about a 5 min wait...no prob...really is 5 minutes a big deal?

After I place my order, 10 more people file in and place theirs...all of whom are asked to wait 5 min...no prob...everyone is cool with that. Then, out of the darkest corner of the universe, comes the grumpiest old man ever!!! He asks for a pepperoni pizza and a cheese pizza...bot of which are in the oven as we speak. The nice college age girl at the register asks if he would mind waiting 5 min like the rest of us. No prob.....NO WAY! He proceeds to rip into her about false advertising and that it just isn't right to advertise " Hot and Ready" if it is not really ready. The poor girl was not flustered and just asked the man if he would still like to place his order. He rudely says yes, but that this was horrible service. He then found the closest seat to me, unaware that I was boiling on the inside and ready to rip him a new one.

Just as I was about to say something, my pizza order was up. The nice girl called my name and I went up to the register. I told her she was doing a wonderful job...and then I turned around to face the old decrepit excuse of a human being, and said " Some rude people just don't get that this is a busy time of day". Nothing to demeaning, but I was pleased to see that his face had gone white and his mouth was hanging open. I took a peek at the girl behind the counter, and there was the biggest, most grateful smile I have seen in a while.

Those two looks are priceless to me....putting rude people in their place....and helping a smile appear when, at the time, that is the last thing the person was thinking of doing.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm glad you did that Krista!!! I had a moment waiting in line at a 7-11 where the cashier let a man dressed in a suit skip ahead of about 7 or us 'kids' in line. I should have taken that as a compliment but I was furious.... and she even said to the man to come to the front of the line ahead of all these 'whatever kids' loud enough that we ALL heard. No wonder kids don't have respect for adult... they need to be treated with respect in return!! Marci was watching my girls so I quickly went for slurpees - but regardless, kids, moms, men in suits... should all be treated with respect! Okay,... that's a novel, but thanks for speaking up!!