Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Animal Rescuers

I have been taking Tui and Addy, the little girl I babysit, with me for walks in a local park. There are lots of lakes and it is a large wooded area. We see a lot of wild life there. we usually see squirrels and birds.Sometimes we see deer, but our most favorite animal to see are turtles. We have come across a couple of different kinds. most of them are pretty big....like it takes both my hands to lift them up. On day we even found a huge soft shell turtle that made funny sounds when we touched his feet.

Today while we were driving to the spot we start our walk at, I noticed something in the road. It was small, and at first it looked like a leaf. I stopped and got out to look. It was a baby snapping turtle that had been run over. It had a big crack in it's shell and there was blood coming from it's mouth. I quickly got in the van. put the turtle in my lap and turned around to go to the forest rangers station to see if they could help it. They were pretty surprised it hadn't tried to bite me. Poor little thing was pretty hurt! They said it might not live. How sad!

So back down the road for our walk again. This time in the road there was another creature. The largest black fuzzy Caterpillar I have ever seen...and then minutes later another one with a red stripe. We moved them off the road so they wouldn't get squashed.
We love our walks in George Wyth Park!










No comments: